Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Am I Yoga Material?

"Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape." -Author Unknown


Months ago Jon and I stopped to get gas at a new spot on Eldorado. When we pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a sign on one of the buildings behind the pump. Sunstone Yoga. I had never taken a yoga class and didn't know much about it at all, other than I thought it sounded interesting and I was looking for a new hobby to keep me active. I was also just searching for something different, exciting and challenging to try on my own. A new mini-adventure.

After months of putting it off and weeks of schedule conflicts, I finally attended my first class last night. It was CRAZY! Leading up to it, I started to psych myself out. I thought...

"I'm going to make a fool out of myself!"..."What shoes do I wear?"..."Do I wear shoes?"..."Is it going to be super slow and boring?"..."Will I even get a real workout?" As I got ready to leave, I said screw it. I don't care if I make a fool of myself. I might love it. I might hate it. But I won't know until I try now will I? 

When I got there I filled out some paperwork and payed my $10. (For $10 I can try as many classes I want for 10 consecutive days, which I think is a great deal.) While signing in, two women who worked there were having trouble with the computer. One of them said, "I guess that's what you get when you have a bunch of yogi's trying to fix a computer." They then began to laugh about how they should center their energy... At that moment I would say I was out of my comfort zone. Am I yoga material? Do I have to be a vegetarian or something to participate? Should I be comfortable walking around barefoot all day talking about my energy?

I pressed on...

A very nice girl showed me around. She took me by the locker rooms, showed me where I could put my things and pointed me in the direction of my class. She explained where the mats could be found and how to begin with my towel over my mat, etc. As she walked away I realized the room I thought she pointed to as my classroom was dark. I asked again what room I should go to and she confirmed the original room she mentioned before. They keep it dark until class starts to you can relax. Oh, okay. 

I slowly opened the door, not certain about what I'd find and was immediately taken back by the intense heat and humidity. Each room his temperature and humidity controlled. (This particular class was 98.6 degrees at 60% humidity.) I grabbed  a mat, found a space, put my towel down and followed everyone's lead. I lied on my back and closed my eyes. Soon after I talked myself down from leaving due to the mild suffocating panic I was experiencing, the instructor came in. She turned on the lights, which made me feel a little less creeped out, and started the 60min Fire series class. 

For the next hour, I paid close attention and performed every pose to the best of my ability. It was extremely quite and focused and calming. I was actually impressed that I could hang with the regulars. Go me! I stretched and moved in ways I never knew were possible. I balanced and controlled my breath. The one thing I had no trouble with was...SWEATING!!! 

Let me just say, and I say this without a lick of sarcasm or exaggeration. I have NEVER sweat so much in one hour in my entire life! Actually, I've never sweat that much period. 

Overall, yoga was a great experience. I think it will make a huge impact on my flexibility and strength. I'm also hoping it helps relieve some of the stress I tend to carry around with me. We'll see how it goes. I'm headed to my second class at 6pm. This class is a part of the Earth series. I'll let you know how it goes. If I start talking really quite and slow and refer a lot to my center and energy, you'll know I've become a Yogi! 


No comments:

Post a Comment